Monday, February 22, 2010

Another connection...

Yesterday, I drove to OKC to meet with Dave and Jana Jenkins. Dave is a pastor in Kigali and he and Jana helped start the Kigali International Community School (KICS). The church he is a pastor at is on the same grounds as the school. The church is Christ's Church Rwanda. They have five children, two are adopted from Uganda. They lived in Kampala for 11 years(another connection). I am so glad I had the chance to meet them before they return to Kigali. They are due back soon but don't have a set departure date yet. Their kids go to KICS and since they live there and helped start it, I was able to pick their brains! KICS sounds wonderful. It is in Kigali. Jana made a good point from a moms perspective: "If you think Africa is a long term deal, you should start out in your bubble." Meaning that if I see myself working in Africa for a long time, which I do, then maybe starting at KICS in the capitol might be a good place to start. I would be surrounded by more Americans and people my age. The students at KICS are from all over the world. Their parents are there doing missionary work or working for an NGO. Without an American school like KICS, they wouldn't be able to work in Rwanda because there is no good school for their children. But nothing is set yet and I'm working on being patient. 5 months to go...

Here is the website of the Rwandan Outreach Community Foundation. It has a lot of info about KICS.

www.rocfoundation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment