Sunday, February 14, 2010

Arkansas: the jewel of America

I am in awe at God's powerful words through His children. He has brought together so many loving and compassionate individuals to perform His works. I am so glad to be a part of his plan in Rwanda.

Friday afternoon, Mom and I drove to Little Rock to meet with Melissa, Blayne and Glenn at the Bridge2Rwanda office. It was a great meeting and I instantly fell in love with all of them! They are so passionate about their work and God's calling to help the people of Rwanda. We sat and listened as they told story and story about what is happening over there with God's love and power. As I was telling them about my incredible experience in DC last week, they started to grin and I felt like they knew what I was going to say before I did! Dale and Judi Dawson (co-founders of B2R) were in DC for the National Prayer Breakfast which was the reason all the African's were in DC last week. They are good friends with Ward Brehm (the man I sat next to during the meeting in Senator Inhofe's office and who signed a copy of his book). It was an amazing connection which just kept getting better...

They were telling me about my options in Rwanda and how we are waiting for the Bishop to say yes or no as to my working at the Sonrise school. Melissa, Blayne and Glenn were telling me of some other options I have in Rwanda like working at the Kigali International Community School which was founded by some Arkansans, Mary and Dabbs Cavins. They were doing missionary work in Rwanda with some other people and needed a good school to send their children to. Well, as it turns out, Mary was one of the organizers of the National Prayer Breakfast and is also a friend of Ward Brehms. Mary has helped me get in touch with some girls who have been in Rwanda but are now back in the states.

Congresman Boozman has announced he is running for Senator of Arkansas. The chairman of his campaign is Stanley Reid. Mr. Reid's daughter, Anna, is in Rwanda at the Sonrise school! If the Sonrise school works out for me, we would be working together! In DC, as I was talking with Boozman about Africa, he was telling me that he knows some people in Rwanda and I'm pretty sure the young girl he was referring to is Anna! Lee met Anna over Christmas break and she sounds AMAZING!

All these connections are incredibly powerful that I am almost having a hard time wrapping my mind around it. But as I sit here thinking about it, I don't need to wrap my mind around anything-God has done that for me already. It is all in His hands. He knows what will happen and it will be wonderful! Wherever He takes me, whatever I am doing, whoever I am meeting will all be from the grace of God. I have learned to let go and let God!

So as of now my options for next year are:
*The Sonrise School. We are waiting for Bishop John to say yeah or nay. He might decide that he doesn't want anymore mzungus (foreign people) at the school. Which is totally fine and understandable--keeping is Rwandan is awesome! (But, please pray that he doesn't say no!)

*International Education Exchange. The man who founded this organization works close with Dale and Judi and B2R. Dale is going to see if there could be a position for me in Kigali. Rwanda has recently changed their native language to English and so many educators don't have strong English skills to teach their students in English. IEE helps train and teach teachers, especially at the primary level, how to teach English. That would be a fun and amazing experience!

*Kigali International Community School.

*Cornerstone Academy. For 10th, 11th, and 12th graders who are working on their English proficiency to pass the TOEFL exam to attend school in the US.



No comments:

Post a Comment