Thursday, February 4, 2010

Green Lights


I figured that my recent events should be recorded so this is it-the first of many entries!

First, I would like to dedicate this next chapter of my life to two wonderful young people whose lives were taken too soon: Brandon and Keely Trusell. Both were on a path to save the world and achieve greatness. I will take a small part of Brandon and Keely with me whether I am teaching in a remote village in Rwanda or studying International Education in Grad school. Hebrews 12:1 "Such a large crowd of witnesses is all around us! So we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially the sin that just won't let go. And we must be determined to run the race that is ahead of us."

I arrived in D.C. last Saturday and played with Angie and Megan. We had a BLAST! This was my first time in this incredible city and I am in love. There is so much culture and history and I have decided that when I return from Africa I will move here. I am looking at going to graduate school for International Education (or something in the related field) and I think DC would be the best career move for me. Monday morning we had a fantastic tour of the Capitol. We sat in the joint chief of staff's seats on the House Floor and took pictures on Nancy Pelosi's balcony.
I was here representing Oklahoma Early Childhood Educators through the national organization NAEYC. We spend Tuesday learning the ins and outs of the Administrations budget proposal for education. Wednesday morning we took a bus to Capitol Hill. Jan, Susie and I met with Mary Fallen and John Sullivan's aids and had some nice discussions.

That afternoon we met with Senator Jim Inhofe from Oklahoma. Senator Inhofe is a member of the Committee on Foreign Relations and has special interests specifically in African affairs. He has traveled to almost every country on the continent and has close personal relationships with the Presidents of those countries. His granddaughter is adopted from Ethiopia. Needless to say, I was stoked about meeting with him. (He was also the only Senator/Congressman that we personally met. We met the aids of all the others.) The first ten minutes he and I talked about Africa, our time spent there and our love for the culture and people. I was telling him about my hopeful future of working with Bridge2Rwanda in Kigali and how it is an Arkansas based organization. He told me to go look behind his office desk where there was a picture of his two daughters as Arkansas cheerleaders. We talked about Northern Uganda and the sadness that happened there years ago. He was telling me that there was an African dinner the next night for the representatives from all the countries and he had meetings the rest of the day with Africans. He then invited me to his 3:00 meeting with representatives for the Presidents of Benin, Sierra Leone and Malawi. I was so floored and excited and experienced about 10 other emotions! Of course, I said yes! I had a 3:30 meeting scheduled with Congressman Boozman from the third district in Arkansas so I called and pushed that back to 4:00.
At 2:50 I went back to Inhofes office and waited in lobby with the men and women from Malawi, Benin and Sierra Leone. Listening to them speak in their native languages was amazing and I felt a great connection to the continent I fell in love with just 6 months ago. Erica (Inhofe's Legislative assistant) came and got me and we walked into Inhofe's office. I met two men who work with the Africans and who have done extensive traveling there with the Senator. The meeting began with greetings and soon the men began speaking about their countries. Inhofe is a strong Christian man and he referenced the Bible multiple times along with speakings of Jesus. The men from these countries are also Christian so they replied with praise and thanks to Jesus and Inhofe for the work that has been done to help their country. Tears came to my eyes more than once as they shared personal stories about people who have benefited from the Senators work. As the meeting wrapped up, the Senator asked us all to gather in a circle as he prayed for us. I held hands with Senator Inhofe. After the meeting, I med Ward Brehm who wrote "White Man Walking: An American Businessman's Spiritual Adventure in Africa". The Senator had many of his books on his desk and Erica grabbed me one and Mr. Brehm signed it for me. He wrote, " To Betsy-so excited about you wanting to be a voice to those with none. Proverbs 31:8-9." Proverbs 31: 8-9 says,
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves;
ensure justice for those being crushed.
Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless,
and see that they get justice.

Senator Inhofe invited me to his meeting the following morning with the Rwandan's and to the African dinner. Unfortunately I had to decline since my flight was leaving the next day. Deep down I know that this will not be my last meeting with him and I will share more exceptional moments with him and the amazing people from Africa. Standing in that circle of 11 people from all over the world who work with all peoples made me realize that we are all human. We are all brothers and sisters under Christ. It's okay to not agree on every political issue but if we find common ground and work together we can achieve great things.

After I left this meeting, smiling from ear to ear, I headed over to Arkansas Congressman Boozman's office. Kathy, his Legislative Director had called me earlier in the day saying that the Congressman was excited I stopped by and would love to meet me. I was a bit surprised by this but was very honored. Kathy told me that the Congressman was on the House Floor voting but only had 4 votes left so we walked over to the Capitol and waited in the Rayburn room for him. After a short wait, Congressman Boozman walked in and introduced himself to me. He asked me if there was anything he could do for me. I told him that I was up on the hill and just wanted to stop by and say hello. I told him about my meeting with Inhofe and he has done some traveling with Inhofe in Africa. Boozman's daughter has been to Zambia and he knows of some people who are working in Rwanda. Kathy is going to get me this list so I can contact some of them. We had a nice chat and he is one of the nicest person I have ever met. He is sincere and honest and you can tell he loves what he does. Boozman told me if there was anything I needed to let him know and he would be praying for me. I told him I would pray for him as well. I took a picture with the Congressman then he and Kathy helped me get into a cab and off I went.

Yesterday was a great day and as Susie told me, "You have hit all the Green Lights!" God has something major planned for me and He created these fabulous contacts I made yesterday. I am so excited for my future and happy to know that Africa and Washington D.C. are involved. God is Good!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you Betsy! Hurry up and move! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a inspirational person, thank you for bringing hope to people that have none!
    Candice Due

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy,
    How neat it was to read your blog. Hearing your stories is so inspirational. You are in my prayers every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive Betsy! I look forward to more of your postings.

    ReplyDelete