Tuesday, February 16, 2010

New Friends at Fellowship

Melissa and Blayne invited Lee and I to Fellowship Bible Church in Little Rock on Sunday. First of all, the church is massive!! It's like a mall or an airport in there! We got there a little early to meet Jessica Brogdon and her husband Todd. They lived in Rwanda for a while and are two amazing individuals! We talked a little about their time there and we told them our plans. I am so excited to be meeting all these passionate and wonderful people.

We attended the Worship Service at church. FBC has three services: Worship (devoted to a lot of worship songs), The Edge (for the younger crowd), and another one that is more traditional. There are about 15 or so Rwandan students that go to schools in the Little Rock area. They all go to the Worship Service so I got to meet them. They are all in school studying Math, Chemistry, Engineering, etc... Very bright kids! I met William, who is 36 years old from Rwanda. Melissa told me he was a soldier in the RPF (Rwandan Patriotic Front) during the genocide. He was the driver on their trip when they went to Rwanda and now he is in the states on a scholarship at Arkansas Baptist College. He is amazing. I also had a nice chat with Alex. He is in school at Philander Smith College in Little Rock. He is planning to go to Rwanda for a visit at the end of July/early August and that's when I hope to leave for Rwanda. It's comforting to know that I will already have some friendships including Rwandans and Americans when I arrive.

Also, if you don't know much about the genocide that happened in Rwanda in 1994, I recommend you look it up. Here are some websites with information.


No comments:

Post a Comment