Monday, August 23, 2010

Nitwa MuToni Uwase.

Walking up the hill to Sonrise this morning, I heard the beautiful sound of little voices singing. They were singing the Rwandan National Anthem and their voices were so sweet. I couldn’t help but smile. I took my camera to school today so below are some of the events of the day.



Brown bear, Brown bear
Looking at books

Break time
Gloria and I
One of my little P1 girls, Benneta
My new co workers Pennine and Grace
John Lambert!

Benneta and I.
Washing the students clothes

Vincent, the gate keeper

The computer lab-they were writing about their holiday.

B2R mousepads


Sonrise Primary Chapel
The Spiritual Committee with Pastor Celestine


Primary kids filling the chapel

I am so blessed to be working at Sonrise. I forget that I am the only white face among a sea of Rwandan children and teachers! They have taken me in as if I was born and raised here. My KinyaRwandan is coming along “bohoro bohoro” which means “slowly by slowly”. Every morning I greet the matrons including my new Rwandan momma, Betty. I have tea or a banana with them and I learn some new phrases. They have named me MuToni Uwase which is my KinyaRwandan name. From what I understood, it means the girl with the Father in her heart.




3 comments:

  1. Oh Betsy! I love your blog, it is so inspiring. I'm so proud of you, and I absolutely love your name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BETSY!
    I cannot tell who's smiles are bigger...the children who love you, or yours! God is working miracles every minute and you are his instrument with your love and compassion. I am praying for you and really have enjoyed looking at your blog. Peace!
    Eileen Teagle
    Fort Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the smiles! I really enjoy reading this, keep it coming!
    Love ya, Amy

    ReplyDelete