Sunday, September 5, 2010

Make Your Mark

I finally met Bishop John! I told him how wonderful I thought Sonrise was and how I love everything about it: the teachers, the students, the school...everything! He thanked me and said, "Make your mark here in Rwanda." I have been thinking about these words and how God is using me to make my mark in Rwanda. What is more powerful is that God is using Rwanda to make a mark on me. I have been here one month and my life will never be the same as it was one month ago. Here are some things Rwanda has shown me in the last month:

-The Genocide Memorial in Kigali. It was very heartbreaking and the room dedicated to the children shattered me.
-The Presidential Election. President Paul Kagame was re-elected. That night, we went to the stadium hoping to hear his election speech. I took an ambien by accident before we went and was pretty out of it. We left before he spoke which wasn't until 3:30am.
-Visiting the beautiful children who attend Mwiko school. The village is located on a moun
tain between two lakes...it's breathtaking! We met some amazing children and adults. It's one of my favorite places in Rwanda.
-The first day of a new job. Sonrise is better than what I imagined it being! The teachers are supportive of one another and I have found myself in yet another great family! Every morning I share tea with my friend, Betty. I am currently teaching Religious Education, PE and Music to P1, P2, and P3. Language has been a small issue but I have figured out how to work around it!

-Being the only blonde haired, blue eyed girl almost everywhere I go (unless I'm with Anna!). I am the only "Muzungu" or "foreigner" at Sonrise Primary. Somedays, however, I forget that I'm a little white girl from Arkansas.
-Letting a child use her imagination to draw a picture of whatever she chooses with whatever color of crayon she would like.
-Watching wide-eyed students hold a children's book for the first time and flip the pages while being enamored by the colorful pictures.

-My first church experience at Sonrise Chapel with the students of Primary. It was so sweet and their singing was precious.

-Running on dirt roads through the village. Kids are always on the roads carrying a load of sugarcane or a jerry can of water on their heads. The first day I went running, I looked behind me and there were 4 children running with me. I slowed down and we ran together for about 10 minutes.

-Changing a little boy's bandage on the front porch of our house because he had no one else to do it.
-Moving that same little boy into his new home with his new and loving family!
-Experiencing the beauty in a sunset and really appreciating every day.

I have a blessed life. God is doing great things in Rwanda!


6 comments:

  1. Proverbs 3:18 She is the tree of life to those who take hold of her. You are doing great things for the people of Rwanda. I am learning about Africa and their culture everytime I read your blog. You are pretty amazing! Love you! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great thing about God is our hearts are all the same color. Love and miss you. Kim Totty

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a wonderful encouragement to others, Betsy, and you will reach many hearts through this work. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy, you inspire me to want to do more for our Lord. You are making a great impact on many precious little lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy...It was great meeting you.I have no doubt that you will make your mark in Rwanda.I will be praying for you...Donna Richards

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy...this is amazing I am so in awwww of you and your adventure that you are on!!!! I saw your mom last night and she told me all about what you are doing! I hope you remember who I am(I had Lee in my youth group at FUMC) I can't wait to follow your story! May God bless you and everyone who crosses your path!!! Much love to you! Julie Young

    ReplyDelete