Monday, August 9, 2010

It's good to be home


Yesterday afternoon, we went to the Genocide Memorial in Kigali. It was heartbreaking. There was an entire room dedicated to the children who were killed during the genocide. As you walk through, you see pictures of the children and can read about who they were. Some things mentioned about different children were: their name, age, favorite food, personality type and behavior, favorite thing to play and their last words. Reading what some of the precious babies said at their final hour was difficult for me. I can't imagine anyone doing such terrible things to a child.

Yesterday afternoon I sat under the gazebo at Tom's house and read a book as I looked out over the amazing city of Kigali. I could hear singing and music coming from various church's in the area. It was beautiful and I could really feel God's presence in Rwanda.

Today is election day in Rwanda. It's a neat experience being in an African country during an election. We have seen many people walking to the voting locations. When a Rwandan votes, they dip their pinky finger in ink to mark their choice. Everything in the city is shut down. It's like a holiday. Very few places are open today.

It's so good to be back in Africa. I really feel that my heart belongs here. It was such an awesome feeling stepping off the plane and taking in the new smells (much better than in Uganda!!).

Below is a picture of our new friend, Christopher. We met Christopher and his friend as they were leaving the voting station. They walked with us for quite some time telling jokes and asking questions. Look closely on his pinky finger and you will will see the mark he used to cast his vote.






I have fallen in love with this country.




1 comment:

  1. Betsy

    I have greatly enjoyed reading your blog you are such a captivating writer! I hope all is well and I have been thinking about you half a world away. Much love and I look forward to your next post.

    e

    ReplyDelete