Monday, July 12, 2010

Close to Home

A few minutes ago I found out that multiple people were killed in 3 different bombings in Kampala, Uganda. They took place during the Spain-Netherlands World Cup final game while fans were watching. One of the locations that was bombed is called Ethiopian Village and is located in Kabalagala . The hotel we stayed in while in Kampala was called the Tip Ton which was located in Muyenga. Kabalagala and Muyenga are two neighboring suburbs of Kampala. We would walk the short walk to Ethiopian Village almost daily to check our email. They had the fastest internet around.



This hits a little to close to home tonight. My sister is en route to Rwanda tonight and tomorrow and exactly one year ago my life changing journey to Africa began in Kampala, Uganda. Our trip started on July 11. Grace is in Jinja, Uganda but will soon be traveling to Rwanda to meet up with Lee and her group.

Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.


Psalm 4:8
I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.


Psalm 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?


Hebrews 13:6
So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

1 comment:

  1. Betsy, I remember getting a text message from you more than a year ago that simply said "I think I'm going to go to Africa this summer!" It was as inspiring then at it is now, with you about to begin your second African journey. I am so proud of my brave friend who is willing to leave us all behind to go spread her innate goodness in other parts of the world. I will miss you, but when I think of you I know it will inspire me to do my own good works here in Tulsa! Be safe, be happy and be well - and update your blog as often as possible!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete