Sunday, October 24, 2010

A day on the water

Yesterday Tom, Blayne, Ronald, John Baptiste and I headed up to the village. We met at Christophe's house where we began our descent down the steep mountain to get to the shores of Lake Burera.
Our village family!

Bernard in his new pink shirt!

Baby carrying baby.

Walking down the mountain singing, "I am a soldier...because of education!" The kids all helped me because I kept falling. They would say, "Sorry! Sorry!" as I would be laughing at myself.

On the wooden boat about to cross the lake to go to the island.

Christophe and John Baptise on the boat.
A view of the village from the lake.

A woman and her child in their canoe made from a tree.

Muhurabura Volcano

The Island and a rainbow.

Christophe and I on top of the island.

200 people used to live on the island. Now there are 18.

That face holds so many stories.

Arkansas River Valley kids

Family portrait.


Children of the island. The boy in the middle wearing the yellow shirt is in charge of taking the children by boat to school and home every day.

Dreaming about kayaking and camping...

Our trusty boat which we had to scoop the water out of.


The climb back up the mountain to the village. Christophe referred to me as his daughter and helped me up the steep and slippery rocks.
Our friends waiting for us to get back.


1 comment:

  1. This pixes are very inspiring and tell thousand stories. I am discovering Rwanda through your eyes. Good wishes for you.

    ReplyDelete