Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Bittersweet

I have 11 more days with my students! Most teachers are ready for the summer to be here..no students, no classes, just time to relax. I can't help but feel sad that this school year is over. Kendall-Whittier has been such an amazing part of my life. I really feel like they are my Tulsa family. (especially, Kathleen Walker-she's always going to be my Tulsa momma, no matter where in the world I end up). I have learned so much about myself and other people while working at KW. I love the population of students I work with. I admire them and their families. June 15 is going to hit me hard, I'm afraid.

This weekend has been particularly difficult for me. Lauren and I shed our first tears when thinking about goodbyes. It's going to be the first time in 7 years that I will be a world apart from my best friends. They have been with me through so much. I know they will always be a phone call or email away but I owe so much of the woman I am today to them. Thank you, girls. YOU are the definition of best friends.

I was the only family member not home this weekend for Memorial Day and I realized that's how its going to be for a while. I'm going to miss my nephew's first year of life. I want to prepare myself for the distance while clinging on to every minute I have left in the states. Why are goodbyes so hard...and yet, I still have 2 months!

But just before I get too wrapped up in my thoughts, God has a way of reminding me what His plans are for me. I had a surprise message on facebook from Manzi, a friend and Sonrise student I will soon meet in Rwanda. It was a simple, "Hallo Dear Sister Walker, how are you?" I was thrilled to hear from him even though we have only talked once or twice online. His timing could not have been more perfect. It's amazing how God does that, isn't it?! It brings me back to reality that this is what God has for me. He has paved the way for me to move to Rwanda. As Beth Moore said, "My feet were meant to dance on a different turf." And I know mine are meant to dance in Rwanda.

This chapter of my life is coming to an end. Although it will be sad and difficult, it will also be glorious. I feel truly blessed to be chosen by God to work in Africa for Him. It is an honor to serve His kingdom where so much devastation has affected His children. People tell me "Thank you" for the work I am about to do but I want to say, "Thank you" to those who are helping me on this journey. I didn't choose this path, God had it all laid out before me. I just take the steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment